09 May 2011

Scratching on Things I Could Disavow

Today Jury group #2 saw Walid Raad's 'Scratching on Things I Could Disavow: A History of Art in the Arab World.' This piece made my little art historian heart sing, and I think the Jury enjoyed it as well. I really liked the first part because it dealt with the complicated relationship between art and economics, which I find really interesting. I thought the third part was also great; the artist shrunk down his work-sculpture, prints, etc., and hung it in a miniature art gallery. Walid hung with the kids after the show, answered their questions about his work, and offered them advice on how to go about choosing the award winners- woot!


In the mini-bus!


Darren takes the Jury on an exploration adventure in the theatre...

Sneaking around...

Caught!

Heading in to see the show!